Sunday, November 19, 2006

Karaoke-

When I lived in Taiwan we used to do karaoke like there was no tomorrow. I must say that I miss it a little bit. One night we started karaoke at 2 am and went until 6 am, this did not go over very well with my teachers at the university. When I missed class the next day, it was not make a very good excuse when I told them we had an all night karaoke session.

The other evening brought the karaoke alive to me. There was a medical team that came to B-town. They worked for three days in a medical clinic, and in the evening we would hang out. On the last night we had a huge party and slaughtered a whole sheep and made 50 pounds of kabobs, which this amount of meat meant that we ate ourselves sick. As the evening carried on the atmosphere came alive and out of nowhere they started singing. We had no guitar, no music, every song was building upon another and before I knew what was happening the place had become a karaoke revival.

I was carried away to the point that it almost brought me to tears and just when I thought life could not be any better they started calling me to sing a song. This sent a cold chill up my spine. I tried all the excuses and then they told me that I had to sing. Maybe all the sheep fat got to my head and I temporarily forgot that I sing horribly. I then tried to get someone else to sing with me but I was the only token American in the whole group. So then I should have warned them that they were going to regret this, but I did not and sang the song alone. I did not see anyone cover their ears, but let's just say that they did not ask me for an encore. My head is still spinning as I think about our karaoke depute in B-town. Just when you think that life can not get any more random a group of Koreans show up in the mountains of the middle of nowhere to awaken memories from a life long past, but defiantly, still very much alive.

1 Comments:

Blogger momtonomad said...

I can so see you doing that...knowing that you don't have a "sinatra" voice but knwoing you are "game" for all challenges. You made me smile just visualizing the scene.

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home